Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 Wrap-Up: My Top Ten Picks for This Year

Image sourced from Peddhapati at Flickr

2014 is over! And I've read a lot of books this year. In fact, I've read 105 novels so there are a lot of books to choose from for my top ten favourites of the year. I've been quite selective with tagging books as "2014 favourites" yet despite that, I have 24 books on that shelf (click here to see all the books that made that short-list). So without further ado, here are my top ten picks for 2014!!!

10. Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan

Even though this is a middle-school series, I enjoyed it immensely and thought it was action-packed, humourous but at the same time, it contained a lot of heart. For those who are turned off the series but the films, trust me, the novels are nothing like the movies!

Also, I really need to finish The Heroes of Olympus series as well!

9. The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

This book is very different from what I usually read. And I guess, in a way, that's why I really enjoyed it. My favourite quote would have to be
If clouds are blocking the sun, there will always be a silver lining that reminds me to keep on trying.

8. The Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier (Translated by Anthea Bell)

Fun, quirky and quick-paced! I really enjoyed it. Enough said.

7. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

This book reduced me almost to tears. My copy of this book is dotted with little flags of my favourite passages.

6. Cress by Marissa Meyer

I really love The Lunar Chronicles. And I can't wait for the epic conclusion Winter due to come out at the end of 2015. But ever since Scarlet (book #2), I've been dying to read Cress. The relationship between the two protagonists had me fangirling from beginning to end.

5. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

After reading Fangirl and loving it, I also picked up Eleanor & Park and Attachments. Attachments has got to be my favourite of Rainbow Rowell's works. But then again, I love everything she writes. They are adorable and heartfelt.

4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The language is so beautiful. A must read if you haven't already!!!

3. Champion by Marie Lu

There have been so many dystopian series out lately and while the build-up is excellent, I can't help but feel the endings are somewhat of a let down. The Legend trilogy by Marie Lu is the first one where I have loved from beginning to end and every book just builds on top of the next one. And Champion - best ending ever!

2. 1984 by George Orwell

I think this is the book in 2014 that made me think the most. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

What can I say that I haven't already said in my review? My favourite book of the year and it's earned a spot on my all-time-favourites shelf.

1 comment:

  1. CRESS!!! I LOVED that book :-) The Book Thief is another one of my favorites! Will have to check out some of the other books on your list....Happy New Year!

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete