Sunday, November 30, 2014

Off-Topic Sunday: Reading Multiple Books At Once


Welcome to Off-Topic Sunday, a tag that I'm using to post whatever is floating in my head that I want to chat about. For the most part, they'll be book-related but you may occasionally see some none book-related posts/rants as well. 

Reading Multiple Books at Once

This never used to be a problem. For the majority of my life, I have always been a "one book at a time" kind of reader. But for some reason, this year, I have had to resort to reading multiple books at once. Initially, I was only juggling two books - a physical book that I keep by my bedside and one that I'm reading on my iPad whilst I'm commuting. This was completely manageable.

But then things got worse.

With my venture into NetGalley, I think I went a bit overboard with my enthusiasm and requested a few too many ARCs to begin with. All of a sudden, I was reading books under pressure and I had to put some of the books I was reading on hold whilst I tackled those with a deadline (happy to report, my ratio of books received to reviews still stands at 100%). The stresses compounded when I borrowed some library books and had to read them before their due date.

So now it's completely out of control. The books I'm currently "reading" are

1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

2. Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor

3. The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

4. Dark Predator by Christine Feehan

5. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

6. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

7. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

In short, help me!!!

What's more, I think all this juggling is pushing me into a reading slump. Whenever I pick up one of these books, I read a few chapters but I've yet to feel compelled/driven to keep reading into the late hours of the night. I haven't experienced the rush of reading a book for quite awhile now and whenever I think about my current "reading" pile and all the awesome books on my TBR, I feel very uninspired.

Ugh.

I think the first thing I'm going to do is tackle my current reading list. I mean, seven books is simply ridiculous. With any luck, I might be able to finish #4 tonight, and possibly #6 in the next couple of days. I've got an ARC I'm really excited to have received to read in the coming days so that will probably take priority. But after that, I'm really hoping cull this list down to a more manageable number.

On a side note, I've read 99 books this year! Just one book away from my GoodReads goal! This year has gone by so quickly. o.O

How many books are you currently reading? And what are your thoughts on reading multiple books at once? 

1 comment:

  1. This has happened to me too. I have a book (or two) that I'm reading, but then I HAVE to put it down to read a book for a deadline - and then I end up picking up a completely different book instead of getting back to that other one! I don't think I've ever had seven going, though. I feel for you!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete