Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Ten Classics I Want to Read

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

I'm not very good with classics I have to admit. The ones I have read, I have a deep respect for. But they are definitely not my bread-and-butter reads. I'm keen to get into more classics (and there are quite a few on my TBR list) so here are my top ten picks.


1. The Sherlock Holmes series by Arthur Conan Doyle


I'm particularly keen on starting the whole series right from the beginning and make my way chronologically through all his works.

2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I recently picked up a really nice second-hand illustrated edition of this book for just $1 [though missing its dust jacket :(], which is why this is really high on my TBR list for the moment. :)

3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm still determined to read the book before I watch the film so I better get onto this quickly!

4. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Not too sure what this book is about but I have a copy lying around at home so I want to get onto this.

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Now, I actually have read this book but I didn't really enjoy it the first time around. Yet all my friends love this book so I'm determined to give this book another go to see if I read it wrong the first time.

6. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Now I know it's a mammoth of a book but I want to give it a go!

7. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

I still haven't read a book by Charles Dickens yet and I feel like I need to remedy this situation.

8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Another mammoth of a book that I want to attempt.

9. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

I think I tried to start it once years ago but I couldn't make it past the first chapter. :D

10. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I read The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde in high school and I loved that play. So I want to give this book a go too.

So there you have it, my top ten picks for this week. What classics do you want to tackle? Let me know in the comments below and leave a link for me to check out! :D

6 comments:

  1. I have to read all of these as well! Sherlock especially, that one didn't even occur to me! And I look forward to Tolstoy's novels as well, we mentioned them in class but I never read them.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a lot of books in common. I think I want to re-read Great Gatsby the most. All great picks, though! Thanks for checking out my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Seeing quite a lot of these around today!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. The Sherlock stories are great, along with Gatsby and Dorian Gray. Anna Karenina is on my classic tbr list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I'm gradually working my way through the Sherlock Holmes books, they're much easier to read than some of other classics which is why I like them so much! Gatsby and Jane Eyre are brilliant, and Dorian Gray is on my tbr list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose Classics I Want To Read as my topic this week too and quite a few of these made my list! I really want to read Jane Eyre and the Sherlock Holmes series!!

    Check out my TTT!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete