Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Top Ten Books about Friendship

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

As much as I love romance in the books that I read, sometimes books can still be amazing and memorable without it. This week we have to feature ten book on friendship that we really enjoyed.

1. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
I don't think it come as any surprise that the Fellowship comes out on top in this list. The Lord of the Rings is my favourite book of all times and the strength of the friendship among the Fellowship is amazing.

2. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
This doesn't require any explanation. Friendship plays a huge role in all seven books and although there are pairings within the series, romance was never a huge factor in the story.

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Of course, this book contains so much more but the friendships between Liesel and Rudy, and that between Liesel and Max, are so beautifully simple and plays such a stark contrast to what's going on in the bigger picture of the world that I absolutely adored it to pieces.

4. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
One of my favourite novels while growing up, this book almost moved me to tears with how beautiful it is.

5. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Heartbreaking and thought provoking, whether or not you enjoy Jodi Picoult's writing style, this novel raises a lot of ethical questions that I think everyone should have a think about (I may be slightly biased from my medical background).

6. Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
An amazing YA novel on so many conflicting aspects of growing up and finding oneself. While there is a romantic element to the story, I still really enjoyed the friendships in this novel too.

7. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Human nature and friendship - I absolutely loved this story whilst growing up.

8. Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
The friendship between Percy, Annabeth and Grover is just so strong throughout the whole series, through thick and thin.

9. Tomorrow, When the War Began series by John Marsden
Friendship plays such a strong role in this series - all varying aspects of it gets showcased. I have always meant to come back to this series and finish it but I just haven't had the time yet.

10. Babe: The Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith
Dogs. Pigs. Sheep. Humans. This book has them all and how friendship can transcend species.

Which books did you pick this week?

14 comments:

  1. OMG - how could I have forgotten Percy, Annabeth and Grover?? Good call!

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody is putting Harry Potter on their lists -- go Harry Potter!! Here's my list

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also had "my sister's keeper" on my list. :)
    www.she-read.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I'm seeing a lot of Harry Potter and The Book Thief today, both excellent choices. Charlotte's Web is also a great choice, amazing friendship in that book.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great list! I will have to check out Looking for Alibrandi. Percy Jackson series is a great choice, the friendships feel so realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing choices! LOTR is my second favorite book (Pride and Prejudice is my favorite... sorry) but the friendships of Frodo and Sam and Legolas and Gilmi are some of the best!
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/05/top-ten-books-about-friendship.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. that’s a well thought out list. I like the friendship pairs you’ve picked. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOh nice! Saw Charlotte's Web and Babe earlier today as well! And of course Harry! Can never forget Harry, Ron and Hermione!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices. Harry Potter topped my list, such a brilliant series and so many amazing friendships. I loved all the friendships in the LOTR movies, I'm sure if I had read the books it would have made my list as well. My Sister's Keeper is such a beautiful book, I love that one. Nice list :) Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great seeing Harry Potter on so many lists. I think Percy Jackson series is also a good call. I can't believe I didn't think of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harry Potter and The Book Thief made my list too, nice choices! I love that Babe made this list!

    Check out my TTT!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Didn't even think to put HP on my list!

    Here's our TTT

    Nikki @ Lazy Book Lovers Book Club

    ReplyDelete
  13. Completely for got about Percy Jackson. But there is definitely heaps of friendship in those books. I haven't read The Book Thief yet, not sure the storyline really appeals to me, but I've heard so many positive things about that book so I might end up picking it up some time. Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete