Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Top Ten Unique Books I've Read

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week, we have to list the top ten unique books we've ever read. Whether it is because the main character was really different, or maybe it was due to the way it was written, or it contains a very unique spin on a genre or topic etc. So below, I've listed 10 books that come to mind when I see this topic. However, it's not really in any particular order.

1. The Crucible by Arthur Miller

Of all the novels/poems/plays that I had to study in English during high school, this one stuck with me. I think this is really one of those things that the more you analyse, the more enjoyment you derive out of it. Using one tale to depict another, that really stayed with me.

2. Atonement by Ian McEwan

To say I was shocked by the ending would have been an understatement. The postscript practically killed me and whenever I think of Atonement, my heart always feels like it got torn into two.

3. Letters From The Inside by John Marsden

A novel written entirely as letters between two pen pals who have (I think, I can't really remember) never met each other. They slowly opened up to each other and started telling things that I think they would have had difficulty telling their friends in person. And the way the novel ended, so real and nostalgic.

4. The Ocean At the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

I don't honestly know why I'm putting this book onto the list. It just contains a sense of surrealism and the writing is so enchanting. I think someone on the Internet says it correctly that Neil Gaiman's works can't really be shuffled into a genre - it's simply a Neil Gaiman novel.

5. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

This novel is heartwarming and heartbreaking both at the same time. Never has a book had me going back and forth over the fence with indecision. And it really raises a lot of ethical questions that don't really have clear cut answers. Plus the fact that the movie had a different ending to the book really didn't help me decide. I think ultimately, I side with Picoult's novel ending as it seems more fitting with the whole theme of the book.

6. Animal Farm by George Orwell

I still remember being super creeped out with the subtitle "A Fairy Tale" the first time I read Animal Farm. There's nothing fairy tale about the novel. Like The Crucible, it's one of those stories that stick with you because of the hidden tale underneath.

7. The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot

A novel composed entirely of emails, instant messaging and formal letters. Strangely amusing and entertaining.

8. Carrie by Stephen King

I knew this book was going to be scary but to be composed of a mixture of narration and  well as excerpts from textbooks and official documents. Plus, the ending was heavily foreshadowed right from the beginning yet it took nothing away from the climax and ending - if anything, it kept building the anticipation. It was scary, yes, but incredibly engaging at the same time.

9. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

A rare science fiction has made its way onto my list! Again, it's the ending that really got to me and made me think and remember this book.

10. Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut Jr

This is a short story but it contains a theme that really makes you think - what happens when society forces everyone to be equal in every aspect.

So there you have it, my 10 picks for unique books. What were your picks? Leave a comment and/or link down below and I'll be sure to check it out!

4 comments:

  1. Ocean is definitely the most unique out of all of Gaiman's novels. It kind of feels like he created his own genre with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice list! I don't think I read any of these, except for The Crucible in high school...or was it a college course...soooo can't remember! Too many books over the years and that's combo of my books and ones that I was forced to read.


    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read the Ocean at the end of the lane, great list!

    My TTT: http://imlovingbooks.blogspot.nl/2014/04/top-ten-tuesday-most-unique-books-ive.html

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen the film adaptation of My Sister's Keeper because I treasure the book so dearly (despite not actually owning a personal copy) that I can't fathom the story unfolding any other way than the one in my mind created by Jodi Picoult's words.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete