Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Liebster Blog Award (#2 & #3)

Back on the 18th of March (I know, that was ages ago), the lovely Tash @ TashBrilliantBookBlog nominated me for the Liebster Blog Award. Thank you so much Tash! :D I can't believe it's taken me two weeks to get back to this. I'm so honoured and very thankful for the nomination.

Then, a couple of days ago, Hagar @ The Serial Book Lover nominated me again (which reminded me of Tash's nomination and the fact that I'm yet to blog about this). Again, thank you so much Hagar for the nomination as well!

Like my previous Liebster Award post, this award is designed as an opportunity for smaller blogs to get some love and recognition. 

Here are the rules:
  • List 11 facts about yourself
  • Answer the 11 questions asked by whoever nominated you
  • Ask 11 new questions to 9 bloggers with less than 200 followers. You cannot re-nominate the blog that nominated you
  • Go to their blog and tell them they have been nominated!

11 (New) Facts about Me :D

1) I was born in mainland China
2) I am a chili head! I absolutely adore hot food and I have a very high tolerance level. For example, Thai green curry or Indian vindaloo paste barely makes a dent on my palate.
3) My favourite colours are baby colours (like baby blue or baby green) but the majority of my clothes are black and white (just easier to coordinate for work)
4) I cried on my third night shift (which was also my third day of working) after I lost my first patient in a code blue. I was a wreck for the rest of the shift.
5) I am semi-bilingual - my verbal Mandarin isn't bad but my writing and reading is a bit sketchy.
6) I read all four Twilight books in one sitting over one afternoon - that is one afternoon of my life I'm never getting back. I know this is not really a popular opinion but seriously, saying I disliked the series would be a serious understatement.
7) I play the flute & piccolo but it has been years since I have picked up either instrument. I secretly want to learn to play the piano though.
8) I listen to a lot of K-pop even though I don't understand a word of it! :D
9) I read a lot of shoujo manga - don't know why but they are really addictive. My favourite would have to be Fruits Basket.
10) I'm not a big fan of audio books. Some of the voices for characters just doesn't sit right with me.
11) I'm a Leo :P

11 Questions from Tash

1) How long have you been blogging?
Not very long - only for the past two months. I started back in February this year. 

2) Why did you start blogging?
I had been contemplating starting a blog for quite some time before I committed. Firstly, to keep track of my reading and help me reflect on what I read. Secondly, to challenge myself to expand my horizons and pick up books that I normally wouldn't have read. Lastly, to connect with other book lovers out there - there is a limit to how much I can gush about books to my friends.

3) Favourite Book(s)?
So many! But number one would have to go to The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Closer runner-ups would be Harry Potter and the Demon Child trilogy. The rest of my favourite picks really depend on my mood. If I want romance, I go Nora Roberts. If I want chick-lit, I go Meg Cabot or my recent favourite Fangirl. 

4) If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
London. I was briefly in Glasgow before and I love how old UK is. It's a place full of history, culture and of course, literature. Plus, UK is such a short step away from the rest of Europe that I'd be able to visit a different country every weekend, something that's slightly more difficult here down under.

5) Fictional crush?
Well... I'm more into shipping couples than having fictional crushes. My biggest OTP at the moment is Doctor x Rose. My other giant OTPs include Cloud x Tifa (Final Fantasy VII) and Akatsuki x Ruka (Vampire Knight).

6) Favourite film?
Really depends on my mood. But all time go-to favourite would be LoTR trilogy (noticing a trend here?).

7) Have you got a quote you live by?
"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."
~ Nora Roberts

8) Do you have any other hobbies/interests?
Sleep :D and well, I enjoy writing as well. And some TV shows.

9) Favourite thing about blogging?
Connecting with other book lovers and finding books through recommendations. There's nothing better than reading a book and discovering to your delight that it does live up to all the hype and expectations.

10) What has blogging taught you?
Be passionate, be consistent, be disciplined and network with fellow bloggers.

11) Blogging advice?
I'm still a relative newbie but I think the best advice is that slow and steady wins the race. If you're here to get famous fast or make money quick - forget it. Blog about what you're passionate about and that way, every small achievement will feel like a success. :)

11 Questions from Hagar

1. If you could switch lives with any book character, who would you pick?
Can't really pick one off the top of my head, sorry. But anyone who finds her happily-ever-after and the love of her life would be good, thank you. :D

2. How do you usually get your books (i.e. online, library etc.)
I used to solely rely on public libraries because my mother was very strict with book purchases. Her philosophy (which is fair enough) is if you buy, there is never time pressure to read them whereas if you borrow, you are forced to read it in the time period. Having my TBR pile explode recently, I most definitely agree with her assessment. Nowadays, I'm more into online books simply due to my busy schedule & the fact I commute to work. I don't want any library fines! :D

3. What book made you really angry?
All that Glitters by Linda Howard. I get sometimes in romance, the male can be a tad too alpha. That's okay and I enjoy it. But this male protagonist was just being such a douche bag to the female protagonist that I don't understand how she could have possibly forgiven him and loved him back. Ugh.

4. If you could live in any fictional world, which one would you live in?
Hogwarts - you get the best of both worlds: comforts of modern muggle society as well as the magic goodness!

5. What book would you like seen transferred to TV/film?
The Legend series by Marie Lu!

6. What is your favourite book to movie adaptation?
Easy answer would be LoTR as it is both my favourite book and movie. However, I think my favourite adaptation would have to go to the Hunger Games simply because having suffered through so many disappointing adaptations, this is the first one where I went "Yes! This is exactly how I pictured everything in my head!" I cannot sing enough praises about it. 

7. If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what song would you pick?
The Ashokan Farewell. It's really sad but nice. :)

8. What are your favourite TV shows?
Doctor Who - Russel T Davies era. I absolutely detest Moffat's episodes.
House MD. How I Met Your Mother. Friends.

9. What are your thoughts on the New Adult genre?
I enjoy it if it's done correctly. But like the romance genre, sometimes it can be too generic or too implausible for me to derive enjoyment out of it. I guess you can say I approach New Adult books with high expectations and a very critical eye.

10. What book/TV/movie character death did you not agree with?
[Spoiler!!!!!] Allegiant's ending. If it had been a sacrifice for the greater good, I may have accepted it. But it was just such a waste for no reason what so ever. Definitely did not agree with it.

11. What is your favourite book cover?

11 Questions from Me

1) Favourite place(s) to read
2) Bookshops vs library: which do you visit more often? Do you prefer buying or borrowing books?
3) Do you notate your books or keep them clean and pristine?
4) Who's your favourite artist/painting?
5) Do you know a second language? If so, which one? If not, which one would you want to learn?
6) Who's your celebrity crush?
7) Besides reading and blogging, what else do you like to do in your spare time?
8) Do you also write? If so, which genre?
9) Are you a coffee or tea person?
10) When you are having a bad day, what do you do to destress?
11) If you suddenly received a monetary windfall (say $1000), what would you do with it?

Nominated Blogs

Monique @ Mo_Books
Itara Sosa @ My Midnight Fantasies
Alisa Kepner @ The Reading Obsession
Ipshita Ranjana @ Gateway to Different World
Lauren B @ The Hottie Harem
Kyendwarrior @ Eternity Through Pages
Lakin Higgins @ Wonderous Reviews

Over to you guys :)

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog post, and I'm glad to join as a follower. I like the quote from Nora Roberts, especially – if you don't ask, the answer is always no.
    Thanks for good read.
    Best,
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big thanks for nominating me..:)
    Below is my post for the same:
    Liebster award

    ReplyDelete